Since December 2005 same sex couples in the UK have been able to register their partnership.
This is called a Civil Partnership and, in essence, the substantive law is the same for married couples.
• The same tax break benefits are available as for married couples
• Parental responsibility for each others children is the same as for married couples
• The same dissolution process as for divorce (except with the omission of adultery)
• The same recourse to financial settlements upon dissolution
• Pre-registration agreements
If you are contemplating entering into a civil partnership or pre-registration agreement and wish to discuss how this might impact upon you please contact the family department and take advantage of our free initial telephone consultation service.